Extensions to your property provide a way of extending your property for additional space or open plan living, for example a kitchen/diner extension with a pitched roof and Velux roof lights or a flat roof with a glass lantern overlooking the garden. Two storey extensions can be provided for an additional bedroom or to enlarge existing bedrooms and possible en-suite.
The typical 1930s 3 bed suburban semi, with one bathroom, is stretched for today’s family living along with the Victorian terraced house with the galley kitchen, to name but a few and with good careful design and a good diligent builder an extension will add value to the property along with comfort, appeal and enjoyment.
Certain sized extensions need planning permission and if they are under a certain size they could be built without, if they fall within permitted development (PD). Check out the planning portal website for further information. If the size of the extension is within PD it is advisable to make a permitted development application and obtain the lawful certificate from the council which will confirm formal planning permission was not required. This is very important when selling the house and if raised in pre-contract enquiries you will be covered.
LMDS Architectural can handle all this for you and make the necessary applications to obtain the approvals.
New planning legislation came in on May 2013 which is called the prior notice application. This is only applicable to single storey rear extensions and allows you to extend out further subject to an application to the council. Provided there are no objections from your neighbours the build can go ahead. These are the extension rights to the permitted development criteria. Refer to the planning portal website for further reading.
LMDS Architectural specialise in producing good quality economical designs, maximising and utilising every allowable space for habitable and custom living.
We will handle the planning and building regulation process. We also project tender and site supervise, normally on the larger complex projects, should the client require this.
- Initial enquiry to the website requesting a call back or call to discuss.
- Arrange for an initial meeting to check the viability of the extension and initial inspection.
- Production of design quotation.
- Commence with a measured survey and produce draft plans which may contain options within approximately 7 days.
- Produce completed planning drawing and submit for permitted development (Lawful Certificate) or planning application. Formal planning permission is not required on certain sized properties which we can advise on.
- Obtain estimates from the planning drawings while we wait for the Lawful Certificate or planning permission from the Local Authority, this will help to engage with builders and set your budget etc.
- Commence the building regulation plans, finalise the build quotation with the nominated builder based on these plans and agree the build program, stage payments, completion dates, etc.
Contact us today to start the first steps of obtaining information on the viability and process for achieving your house extension.